It was time to do another build, but what? I gave some thought to doing another Tiger Moth or similar – I love biplanes! But I also really wanted to do a ‘bush plane.’
Most bush planes, though, are Cubs or similar and have been done to death much better than I can do them.
And then, today, I found this amazing, ugly, giant biplane / bush plane, the Antonov An-2, with a profile only a Russian mother could love. I’m gonna give it a try.
I’m starting with a 3-view found on the internet:
- CF – < $2.00
- 12 in^2 0.055 Fiberglass – $0.06
- Design Master spray paint (2/3 can?) $3.30
- (2x) Express Terminator 4560 carbon arrow shafts – $4 ea.
- Du-Bro 2.25″ Super Lite Wheels – $5.25
- 3 sheets of FFF / $6.75
- Aluminum tube 1 – $0.50
- Aluminum tube 2 – $0.50
- piano wire 0.32 – 3′ – $1
- piano wire 0.25 – 2′ – $0.75
- styrofoam packaging – $0.00
- HobbyKing HKU5 5V/5A UBEC
- 1 pr, Du-Bro #848 Micro Control Horns – $1.25
- 20A ESC salvaged from my Gripon EDF jet
- (2x) Tower Pro SG92R 9-gram high torque servos.
(2x) HK15178 10-gram analog servos
- (2x) HXT900 9-gram analog servos
- Power Up 400 Slofly Outrunner motor – $14.95
- control horns / pushrods salvaged from my Gripon EDF jet – $0.00 ($1)
The only thing I knew going in was that I wanted to try something different for the wings. I don’t have a hot wire cutter, but still wanted something airfoil-ish, so I played with the idea of using the fold on my fanfold foam for the leading edge of the wing, the placing a spar through it to define the shape.
This was my first trial, using some scrap:
I decided that would work for me and proceeded to start with the top wings.
I used a carbon fiber arrow shaft from Walmart, sandwiched in narrow strips of foam, to form the spar and spacer.